This recipe is made healthier and lighter by substituting beef mince with (which contains the same amount of protein/100g)..
Beef Mince/ 100g
160 - 190
9 – 25
Turkey Mince/ 100g
250g turkey mince
3 celery sticks
1 clove of garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin kidney beans
1 teaspoon chilli flakes (depending on how “hot” you want it)
1 slice mozzarella per half
60g Basmati/ brown rice & salad or boiled veg to serve
- Half your peppers without removing the tops and de-seed. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 20 C (another option is to remove the pepper top and de-seed)
- In a non-stick pan sweat the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes before adding the mince meat. NOTE: When I say sweat I DO NOT add oil, I ad a drop of water.
- Add the carrots, celery and chopped tomatoes and stir. If the mixture is a little dry add some water. Simmer for approx 15 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans.
- Once the peppers are cooked tuff the halves and top them with a slice of mozzarella.
- Switch the oven to grill and grill the peppers for approx 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with rice and salad (or veg). To jazz up your rice mix in fresh coriander *yum*
NOTE: You can either add your cooked rice to the mixture OR add a couple of tbsps into the pepper halves before topping with the mix and a slice of mozzarella OR simply stuff the pepper halves with the mix and serve the rice separately. It’s your choice.
*This recipe made enough to stuff 3 peppers. If you have any mix left over freeze and use at a later date.
|Stuffed pepper with coriander rice and purple cabbage salad.|
|Stuffed pepper with sweet potato wedges and green leaf and bean sprout salad.|
As you can see from the images there are different ways you can cut and stuff your peppers.
*Bon Appetite* :)