It’s one of the few pre-packaged foods I buy. Tinned tuna is extremely useful and can be used in numerous recipes and has great nutritional properties. This fish provides a food option that is dense in nutrition; it is an excellent source of important nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and selenium. Tuna is also a source of high quality protein that is low in fat. It also provides complex B vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential to a healthy diet. I buy tuna in spring water as the salt and fat content is lower in comparison to tuna in brine/ oil.
You can accompany these tasty burgers with almost anything, whatever tickles you fancy. I usually accompany mine with some sweet potato or 'normal' potato wedges and salad.
Sweet potato is great because it has a low Glycemic index meaning it is digested and absorbed at a slower rate thus producing a gradual rise in blood sugar and insulin levels.
Purple cabbage, not only has an amazing colour which brightens up any dish but it’s deeper pigmentation is an indicator of a richer quantity of antioxidants in comparison to other types of cabbage; however these are easier to absorb for our body from a cooked state so eat a mixture of raw and cooked purple cabbage (Avoid boiling it, as the water will sap the nutrients from the vegetable. Sautéing or baking are better options).
*This recipe made 4 burgers. The burgers can easily be re-heated and are equally as tasty served cold.
1 can tuna
2 tablespoons of flour
60g sweet corn
Chopped Coriander or parsley (add to your taste)
- Mix the tuna, flour, egg, tuna & coriander/ parsley.
- Mould into 4 burgers using your hands.
- Bake in the oven at 180 Celsius for approximately 20min (until slightly golden).
- Cut the sweet potato/ potato into wedges; mix with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary (i use dried). Place in the oven with the burgers (cook at the same heat for the same amount of time).
- Whilst the burgers and wedges are cooking prepare your salad.
- Once everything is cooked serve and enjoy this easy, healthy, super tasty dish!
|Tuna burgers served with sweet potato wedges and purple cabbage salad.|
|Tuna burger with potato wedges and green leaf salad.|
*Bon Appetit* :)