Another easy, healthy and tasty butternut squash recipe!
To review the benefits of including butternut squash into your diet read my previous post The Wonders of Butternut Squash.
No excuses, get cooking and make this delicious recipe and have on it’s own or as am accompaniment.
1 butternut squash
100g spinach (I used frozen)
40g brown/ basmati rice*
20g feta cheese
*I use brown or basmati rice because they are classified as low GI (Glycaemic Index) which means they are slowly absorbed, leaving you satisfied for longer.
- Slice the butternut squash down the middle and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the squash in a baking tray and the seeds on a separate tray.
- Place the squash in the oven at 180C for 30 mins (place the seeds on the bottom shelf).
- Cook 40g of brown rice (see instructions on the packet).
- Once the squash is cooked scoop out the middle, chop and mix it with the spinach and feta cheese (crumble the feta cheese).
- Place the mixture into the squash cases.
- Place back in the oven for approximately 15mins
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle over the seeds, serve and enjoy.
*This mixture will make more than enough to stuff the 2 squash halves. You can freeze the leftover mixture or use it to stuff pepper, have it as an accompaniment to meat/fish or eat just on it’s own.
*Bon Appetite* :)