I love this recipe because it’s nutritious, easy and quick to prepare on limited time and it’s equally as yummy as next day’s lunch.
This dish can serve 2-4 people, depending on how many eggs or potatoes you use (and how big your appetite is!) and you can easily bulk it out with more vegetables of your choice. The recipe below served 2 people plus 2 lunch servings for the next day – you can reheat it in just a couple of minutes or it is equally as yummy cold!
There is no standard Tortilla recipe, there are lots of variations however the most common is probably the one made with eggs, potatoes and onion. When I make tortilla as well as eggs, potatoes and onion I usually add spinach and peppers. Another alteration I make which is different from the traditional recipe is instead of frying the potatoes in olive oil I boil them in water. There are many accompaniments you can use with the tortilla, anything from salad to boiled vegetables. This time I chose a purple cabbage salad.
A traditional tortilla ingredient in Spain is chouriço (chorizo). If you chose to add this only use a small amount as it is high in saturated fat and salt. Chorizo has a strong flavour so you will find you only need a small amount.
1 medium potato
1 medium onion
1 cup of frozen spinach
1 pepper (I used green)
¼ cup of milk
- Cut the potato into small thin slices and boil (approximately 10 mins).
- Whilst the potatoes are boiling sweat the onion, spinach and pepper in a pan.
- Beat the eggs and add a splash of milk; season with pepper.
- Mix the potatoes, onion, peppers and spinach into the egg mixture.
- Pre-heat a frying pan on the hob (if you have a good non-stick one you may not need any oil; if it isn’t a great non-stick pan wipe on some olive oil to prevent any sticking).
- Pour the mixture into the frying pan.
- Cook for approximately 7 mins then turn onto the other side for approximately 3 mins.
- Whilst the tortilla is cooking cut up the salad ingredients and mix with the dressing.
- Serve and enjoy J
Tip: To turn the omelette over place a plate face down on top of the pay and secure with one hand, with the other hand holding the frying pan handle turn over. The omelette should transfer onto the plate. Slide the omelette from the plate back into the frying pan. If you don’t want to do this you can always place the frying pan in the oven or under grill for few minutes.
*Bon Appetite* :)